Saturday, May 16, 2009

Reckless About Proof

Until now, the whole picture which I'm sure every student in this department has very well-verse in is at proving theorems, corollaries or a proposition. I, on the other side, are trying to find my individual internal personal connection with the idea of prove and satisfaction of proving. And I had to say that the chemistry is still not there.

I spoke to one of my friend and he mentioned that you need at least a year to comprehend yourself with the skills of proof. One cannot by any chance grab it instantly. Its more about getting attached to the whole idea of any particular concepts where later on your proof is well-defined (logically). Which I failed to feel it in the first place. I cannot start my proof, not until I read some of the hints. Meaning, I don't even know where to start. I've talked to my SV about my reckless about proof, and he did gave me notes on mathematical thinking. I looked at them, study, listing out important things and try to work out the exercises. It seems OK.

Then everything went wrong. Again. When I came back to reality, facing subject like measures, I feel dumb. The things I've learned is hardly applied to this part of subject. OK, this will not stop me. So I made a second move, to speed up my pace. What I did was to learn from any individuals who willing to show some of the skills/techniques. But yet as they spoke the same language (of maths), I feel terribly sorry for myself. So I think I need to go back to the canonical way. A book.

At the end I found that I have no basic in analysis at all. Supposed, I should have taken any functional analysis back then. Whoops, there's no point to mention it now.

No comments: