Thursday, November 06, 2008

ISM Graduate Seminar

Hi,

This week, the ISM Graduate Seminar was held at the Concordia. The presenter was from Universite de Montreal. I can assumed that it will be in French (since it was a French university) but looking at the announcement and the abstract, it was written in English. I also thought that it was a female presenter, so it would be nice for the first time to have a presenter from a lady. Then I found out that I was mistakenly took Alexandre as Alexandra. Hehehe...

The topic was interesting about Grounding the Meaning of Words in Dictionaries. No high complicated mathematics needed as he mentioned it, since he was a student of mathematics and linguistic. He used graph theory a lot in his research. Before he started, he was asking if the audience would prefer to listen he's talking in French on English. Without hesitate, I just say I prefer if you can present it in English. (From my last experience, I sit for the whole one hour seminar listening to a french speaker. Owh how that possible if that kind of situation happened again). Everyone was looking at me making a face...and thanks to Valerie when she mentioned that "well, it's not wrong to just expressed yourself". And yet the speaker did present it in English though he apologized that his English is not very good. Personally I think it was more than good. Thanks.

Note-This is not a boring seminar. I kind of love it. I really do. Using dictionaries to work on with. Where you generate and find the roots of the words (meaning the keywords using graph theory and other related algorithms).


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ko kene jadik pak arab di upm.. buat muka tak malu jerk.. hehehe.. tapi jgn le xder malu langsung yer..

u know me.