Wednesday, March 03, 2010

What Really Matter is ...

Today I had a chance to chat with few students who took functional analysis and also just finished their midterm. This friend of mine, who comes from physics background, complained about how hard the midterm was and how unlucky that the time given for the exam was not enough.

He then mentioned that he don't care about the grades after all.

"Just go hell with the grades, it is all about learning. I don't mind learning all these difficult topics, since I'm going to use it in my research. Plus I don't have to too much focus on time constrained to use the facts that I learned and implement it in my research."

I have also face trouble to tackle problem such as analysis. I cannot simply "see" how it works. It is beyond my imagination. And recently I met few other students who also feel the same way. We just need to begin early at a young age to study analysis. No one can instantly practic

During our chatting, we conclude that the only point that is frequently brought up in this topic is, whenever there is a delta, we need to find associated epsilon. The delta-epsilon relation is so famous in doing analysis. Plus also the notion of neighborhood. It is similarly important.

But perhaps when someone like my friend who value understanding more than grades, I think it is the best that one can hope for. I like the idea too.

No comments: