Today I've been told by my advisor that there will be a seminar given by a new member of Mathematics and Statistics Department. So every new recruited member of the department will have to give a seminar to the rest of the department related to his/her specialization. Today the speaker who is an algebraic geometrist give a talk on "Singularity of polynomial of characteristic zero and characteristic p".
Obviously this topic is not my interest but since I have my advisor attending it and also I found there is also few other students who attend. Then might be I guess I can learn something new about.
The speaker defined on what he called the log canonical threshold which works on the characteristic zero and the f-pure threshold (f for Frobenius) that works on the characteristic p>0. But first he presented on what he call a singularity in terms of functions that takes only an integer element. And of course one of the example is a cusp (pronouce cus with silent p). He talked more about an hour before he meets with the department committee due to his new position in Concordia.
After he give his talked, there are questions and answers session. Most of the question were given by the mathematical physicists. Since I've known each of them. The rest were by mathematicians. This session in general give an introductory of a personal interest of a new member to the department. So that the rest of the member will know what is his skills and on what basis do he specialized in. So to be more even general, it is like a breaking the ice session.
Obviously this topic is not my interest but since I have my advisor attending it and also I found there is also few other students who attend. Then might be I guess I can learn something new about.
The speaker defined on what he called the log canonical threshold which works on the characteristic zero and the f-pure threshold (f for Frobenius) that works on the characteristic p>0. But first he presented on what he call a singularity in terms of functions that takes only an integer element. And of course one of the example is a cusp (pronouce cus with silent p). He talked more about an hour before he meets with the department committee due to his new position in Concordia.
After he give his talked, there are questions and answers session. Most of the question were given by the mathematical physicists. Since I've known each of them. The rest were by mathematicians. This session in general give an introductory of a personal interest of a new member to the department. So that the rest of the member will know what is his skills and on what basis do he specialized in. So to be more even general, it is like a breaking the ice session.
No comments:
Post a Comment