Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Ph.D Thesis Proposal

I went to the scariest talk ever this afternoon. The talk was meant for the Ph.D thesis proposal (see below title). This is the first time I've had a chance to joint this kind of a talk. To make this talk even scarier is the audience is a number theorist which make the talk is dense with an unfamiliar notations and terminologies. I think I picked the wrong slots. The topic is not really for me. Well, it is not like I ever want to try to understand the contents but the main idea of joining would be to have some kind of a motivation. I would love to see and feel how's it like to present your thesis proposal because eventually I will do same as this is part of the comprehensive exam. But on the other hand, I do found some familiar concepts like the group homomorphism and irreducible representation being mention in his early talk.

From my observation,

1. There are five audience, which includes the advisor, two co-advisors and two audience (count me in).
2. The advisor and the co are empty handed. No papers at hand and don't even note down a single thing while the speaker is presenting.
3. The speaker used a blackboard for his presentation and not once he ever refer to any reference while he's presenting.
4. The speaker is well known of those of the notations he used, and matters that he was saying.
5. When the speaker get lost or cannot answer some question, his advisor took in charged.
6. When the speaker was not known to an answer, he can definitely say I have no idea...

The thing that I learned would be

1. Be precise (always) what you are explaining. Give examples, perhaps a definition and so on up to every notations that you used. Don't aspect audience is well-aware to what you are presenting even though they really an expert.
2. A general organized talk would be to have a motivations of research, reviews from previous works, thesis problem and expected output.

Note: Apart from the above two things, I need to work on more in the first part. My former supervisor used to remind me of this...

Title of the talk:
Constructing Special Types of Fontaine Sheaves: Comparison Isomorphism Theorems

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

scary eh.. like wacthing horror movies?

Anonymous said...

Oh cik..lama tul tak singgah kat blog ko ni. Hmmm xleh bayangkan keadaan ko bersama-sama org2 teori. Masa ELS dulu pun rasa cam xleh gi jek... Anyway Go GIRL...you are rock!!(pinjam mana tah ayat ni)